Wednesday, February 11, 2015

St. Patrick's Cathedral - a monochrome study of light

This afternoon I paid a visit to MOMA (the Museum of Modern Art) to see a photography show, "Object:Photo - Modern Photographs 1909-1949, the Thomas Walther Collection".  The show "...represents the innovative vision of the 1920's and '30s, a transformative period of modern photography and the foundation of our photo-based world." I felt a personal kinship to many of the photographs in the exhibit, particularly those avante garde images my artists who began pushing the limits of the photographic process that had finally matured to a point where it became portable and spontaneous after the advent of the 35mm Leica in 1925.

After the show, I turned down Fifth Avenue attracted by the afternoon light as it played on the surface of St. Patrick's Cathedral. It's newly cleaned facade was white in the low afternoon sun, and the reflections of the sun from neighboring office building windows also cast dancing light patterns over parts of the cathedral. It is interesting to me how different photos of the same scene can be when you concentrate on capturing the effects of light instead of the physical subject.

Fortunately, I had my ubiquitous Fuji X-T1 and 18-135mm lens with me and was able to take advantage of the light to capture the images of St. Patricks's Cathedral below.










No comments :

Post a Comment