Monday, February 23, 2015

Retro car meets my retro Fuji X-T1

We had just finished photographing some skate-boarding yesterday when this 1962 vintage Dodge pulled into the parking lot near us. I had the Fuji X-T1 fit with the new 16-55mm f/2.8 lens that I am testing.

Nothing like using a beautiful retro camera to photograph a beautiful retro car.

6 comments :

1. Tom, thanks for these great pics. I would love to see the skate pictures! Please? I look forward to your review on this lens....so, at this point I would like to know would you recommend this over the 10-24? I realize there is a big difference between 10 vs. 16, but I can only have one of these lenses at this point. Any advice?

ReplyDelete
  2. Like the song says; "You gotta get low, get low, get low"
    I love your work, but these seem somewhat flat, and taken at the wrong angle
    http://jlmphotos.smugmug.com

ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know what jlm is talking about. I do like these. Bw shots. Thanks for sharing, Tom

ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Amos, as an automotive photographer with press credentials to racetracks from Daytona to New Hampshire I really do know what I'm talking about. Really... No Kidding. I'm not insulting Tom, merely pointing out this is def. not his best.

Delete
    2. First of all, let me thank both of you for your lively comments. Open, free discussion is what internet blogging is all about, and I'm all for it.

I've noticed that one reason photographers get into arguments over quality issues in image aesthetics is that they are not always talking about the same thing, which, quite frankly, is a very easy trap to fall into. Take it from someone who trips up more than he'd care to admit.When I'm thinking about apples, I later find out the person was talking about oranges. You get the picture.

In this situation JLM rightly criticized my images based on his undisputed authority as an automotive photographer. I make no claims to even come close to being able to correctly photograph of an automobile from this perspective.

Now I come to the "however" part: However, my purpose in taking the photos had nothing whatsoever to do with the image being used for a commercial/editorial purpose. Whenever you see me use monochrome for my images it means I am taking the photos purely for my own aesthetic purposes, and when I do that I feel free to break all the rules to accomplish my end. JLM is correct in saying that the images were "somewhat flat". In point of fact, I actually used a reducing contrast curve on the images to achieve that tonality. It may not be to everyone's liking, but it what I was after, and JLM noticed it. Thanks for that.

I did chose my angles carefully, not to flatter the automobile, as would be the case if the images were intended to be automotive photos, but because my angles revealed a sculpting quality in the metal of the car that resonated with my nostalgic recollections of the design feel of the 1960's. The object could have been a typewriter, or a radio -- in this case it just happened to be a car. In any case, I would have done the same thing.

On a separate note, I have been wanting to expand this blog by opening it up to other photographers to do guest posts, especially in areas where my abilities are lacking. I think it might be interesting for the readers -- me included -- to share some of the experiences out there from very talented photographers. JLM, if you are interested in doing a guest post, you can contact me offline at : tom@tomgrill.com. Same goes for other who have a photographic specialty they would like to share with our readers. - t

Delete
  4. I am not saying you can't make a fine photograph, or that your eye is any better or worse than mine. This is coming from a non credentialed amateur photographer. I simply disagree with your statement that these images look flat and from the wrong angle...
    I am sure you have lovely photos too.

ReplyDelete