Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Retro shooting with the Fuji X-Pro2 and 23mm f/2 lens



I always get something of a nostalgic rush whenever I pick up my Fuji X-Pro2 camera to photograph. Last year I traded in my Fuji 23mm f/1.4 lens for the more compact f/2 version because I felt it would make a more compact kit that would entice me into using it more on those occasions where I wasn't going out specifically to shoot but wanted to have a camera with me just in case I ran across an interesting subject. Essentially, I was creating something similar to the Fuji X100F with its f/2 23mm lens. The only thing lacking in the comparison was that the lens of the X100 series cameras could photograph more close-up -- something I especially liked about the combo. 


Lately, I've been working on a photographic series of tropical plants. Rather that capturing the more vibrant colors and studied tropical compositions, I've been leaning towards a muted palette and casual composition and trying to portray a look that is more casual and happenstance. I don't want to overwork the composition so I stick mostly to fixed focal length lenses, and especially the Fiji 18mm f/2, which has become one of my favorites.  


The camera/lens combo shown above is the perfect size to conveniently carry around. For close-up shots, I've adapted the old 62mm Nikon 5 & 6T close-up lenses, which I often tuck away in a pocket, just in case they're needed. Admittedly, it would be even more convenient to have just the X100F, but I've been resisting adding another camera to my already over-abundant arsenal of equipment.  Plus, the X-Pro2 does allow me to use my other lenses and is a more suitable backup camera when I'm on location with my X-H1.  



No comments :

Post a Comment