Sunday, June 15, 2014

Views from New York's Hudson Rail Yards with the Leica M

The Hudson Yards is jammed over on the far west side of Manhattan near the Hudson River. The High  line, New York's elevated park built on the southern extension of the Western Rail Line , ends here. Currently, the area is a beehive of building activity to rejuvenate the area with a huge redevelopment project. My weekend photo project was to cover this area and try to capture details of its industrial character before it is fully reconverted into a modern marketplace.

I went with my Leica M (240) instead of my usual standby, the Fuji X-T1, for two reasons. First, some of the images will be used to make large prints, and the 24mp full frame sensor of the Leica would be better suited to extreme enlargement. Second, next week I will be taking a two week trip to Spain and Portugal and am drawing up the specs for the camera system or systems I will take with me. Today I had four lenses with me: the Leica 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit, Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux, 50mm f/1.4 Summilux, and the Leica-R 80-200 f/4 zoom with Leica M bayonet adapter. Having the zoom meant I didn't have to carry the 90mm and 135mm lenses, something I wanted to try.

The metal structure of the High line runs through the area defining its character. 


As you walk along the tower of the Empire State Building pops up unexpectedly reminding you of where you are.





  


No comments :

Post a Comment