Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day remembrances with a Fuji X camera

On Memorial Day I attended a WWII airshow at the American Airpower Museum in Farmingdale, Long Island. In addition to the museum's permanent assortment of vintage aircraft, several guest bombers were there for the celebration. In addition to the planes there were a number of vintage land vehicles and reenactors to lend the event an air of authenticity.What better way to photograph the event than with a retro camera like the Fuji X series. So I packed up an X-T1 and X100T and off I went.

For color, I used the Classic Chrome mode with its early Kodachrome look. To further mute the color palette I dialed down the Color saturation -2 in the camera . With black and white, I boosted the contrast by augmenting the shadows and highlights and added some extra noise to the simulate grain. I still felt like I needed more in some of the images so I added a few tricks later in Photoshop. In keeping with the reenactment theme of the event I tried to create the feeling of going through some old photos discovered years later in an attic.

Not only was this a fun shoot, it was a fun post-processing time prepping the final images.

B-29 Stratofortress bomber 

B-24 Liberator bomber --  The Fuji Black & White setting with Red filter helped to darken the blue sky.

Cockpit of a B-24 Liberator bomber


Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

B-25 Mitchell bomber

B-17G Flying Fortress

M-4 Sherman tank

Douglas C-47 Skytrain preparing for takeoff

Tail of a B-25 Mitchell bomber

FG-1D Corsair with B-17G on final approach to land behind it


No comments :

Post a Comment