Wednesday, January 22, 2014

My Fuji X-E2 weathers a snow storm in Central Park

We had a mini-blizzard of snow falling in New York yesterday. After finishing the shoot I was doing in my studio that morning I arranged to meet a model I knew in Central Park to take a few photos while the snow was still falling and blowing around.

Normally I would have used a Nikon outfit for a shoot like this, particularly because its resistance to inclement weather, but I had already done a shoot in the morning and just wanted to have some fun in the park without being bogged down with a lot of equipment to carry. So I decided to go with just my Fuji X-E2, some extra batteries, and the Fuji two zooms -- a nice light-weight kit that would fit in my coat pockets. To make things even easier I set the camera to auto-exposure with an exposure compensation of +1 stop to allow for the bright snow.  We shot for about an hour late in the afternoon. Here are just a few of the results.






 

5 comments :

  1. Hi. I have a trip to NYC coming up in December and I'm curious how was the battery life for the XE-2. Very nice photos BTW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The battery life on all mirrorless cameras is very short due to the necessary electronic image needs. I find it varies tremendously with how much I use the LCD and how fast I shoot. For fast, motor-driven shooting I get very good battery life of 2-3 times the published norm. When I take my time composing and reviewing shots, the battery is used up much sooner, like around 300 shots. Bottom line: Make sure you have several spare batteries when you go out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the response. Apologies for not being clearer: I was wondering how's the battery life in winter. I get about 250-300 shots or so on my X-T1 here where it's 85 degrees 24/7. Just concerned that the cold will reduce battery life drastically.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any battery will perform worse in the cold, but I shoot in New York all the time and haven't noticed any significant loss of battery life from the cold we experience here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know! I'll make sure to pack spares. :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete