Monday, August 21, 2017

The eclipse in Florida with a Fuji X-T2

This is the moment of totality of the recent eclipse as it appeared in Florida. I took the photo with a Fuji X-T2 and 18-135mm Fuji zoom stopped down to f/22. I also used a 4-stop ND filter. This combo allowed me to work at a shutter speed that was fast enough not to burn out the camera. I collected a series of images from 1/125th second to 1/4000th second and chose to combine just two of them to achieve this image.  I also worked the lens at the wide angle end and cropped the image later. This minimized the amount of magnification of the solar rays hitting the camera.

I kind of made up this technique spur of the moment. Apparently, it worked. The camera came through the ordeal with flying colors!


3 comments :

  1. But there was NO TOTALITY in Florida. None.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right. There was no "totality" in Florida. But there was approximately a 75% eclipse coverage, which is what you see in the photo here. Note that the bottom part of the sun is not hidden. It shows the amount of coverage we saw here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Totality!!!??? But awesome photo!!

    ReplyDelete